Feature #5684: Screen locker
Document screen locker
It's now possible to lock the screen in Tails 2.0 from the keyboard shortcut Super+L. But not yet from the system menu, see #5878.
We should document this. The first step would be to draft a plan. From the top of my head:
- Where would this go?
- Shall we document the limitation (no UI)?
- Is there any other way to lock the screen than the keyboard shortcut?
- Do we want to mention the security limitations of screen locking?
team: sajolida, spriver
#5 Updated by intrigeri almost 2 years ago
Good. Super-L is working. But what it's not doing is actually locking the screen. It just goes into a full screen window that I can just scroll out of the way. How do you actually lock the screen?
You need to set an administration password in the Greeter.
Sorry for the n00b sounding questions.
This is exactly why we have a ticket titled "Document screen locking in Tails Jessie"..
#13 Updated by sajolida about 1 year ago
Thanks for the offer. This didn't go in 2.6 and will have to wait until 2.8 (2016-12-13) so we have plenty of time :)
If you want to work on this, I recommend:
- Get an ISO image that has this feature implemented. Maybe from http://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_feature-5684-screen-locker/lastSuccessful/archive/.
- Test all of its aspects and take notes (and screenshots) about:
- The interactions involved.
- If other things have changed as a consequence of this feature.
- Come up with a list of everything that needs to be said or explained about this feature.
- See where all this could fit in our documentation.
- Share this draft plan with us.
Then I'll be happy to review it and once we agree on a plan, you can start writing the actual stuff. The preparatory work is the most important part and also the easy, technically speaking, because it doesn't involve learning ikiwiki, building the website, dealing with Git, etc.
I like this article which talks about a similar process: http://idratherbewriting.com/2015/01/29/writing-is-like-sorting-laundry-practical-advice-for-tackling-documentation-projects/.
#16 Updated by sajolida about 1 year ago
sajolida, do you think it would still be an improvement to
potentially ship the screen locker without user documentation?
Yes. Undocumented improvements are still improvements. The problem
rather lies on whether we are fine with building up a technical writing
debts by adding undocumented features (though we haven't been that bad
in the past about slight delays).
I'm mostly asking because I'm wondering if I should block the merge on
If I understand correctly, the screen locker is planned to be in 2.10
(freeze beginning of January), so we still have plenty of time to
document this. Last time I tried (for 2.6) it ended up being unclear to
me whether the feature was 100% ready and I think I waisted some time on
testing and trying to understand something that wasn't.
So please tell me when it's 100% ready, where I can test it, and I'll be
happy to document it in the for 2.10.