Upgrade Linux to 4.9
|Type of work:||Code||Affected tool:|
- Target version changed from Tails_2.12 to Tails_2.11
We'll need to consider doing that in 2.11, if there are important security fixes brought by Linux 4.9.x that aren't fixed by any 4.8 kernel in Debian. Of course it would be best to avoid upgrading a kernel in a point-release without any RC, but it's not as if RC:s helped us much identify hardware support regressions (generally we learn about them after the release). I'll look into it and try to balance these factors.
- Status changed from Confirmed to In Progress
- as expected, a number of security issues (including CVE-2017-6074) can only be fixed by upgrading to 4.9.13
- the i386 packages for jessie-backports are waiting for approval if they're not unblocked when I come back to it, I'll import them from sid
- anonym says "FTR I tried it a week ago, but IIRC DKMS for Virtualbox failed"
- Target version changed from Tails_2.11 to Tails_2.12
The i386 package is still in the
BACKPORTS-POLICY queue and our freeze is in 3 days, so it'll be hard to get this implemented and merged in time for 2.11, not mentioning the risk of hardware support regressions => postponing and filed #12280 that does need a fix.