Run Dogtail using Python 3
Currently we install
python-dogtail, which uses Python 2 and makes it impossible to deal with objects containing unicode character (e.g. "Save As…" (note the triple dots)).
The Debian packaging repo for dogtail has switched to Python 3 since almost a year back, but there has been no release since then. However, I tried building a package and installing it, and it worked fine vs unicode strings at least.
- Priority changed from Normal to Low
(Indicating that this is not a blocker for 3.0. If it doesn't make it into 3.0, then it should go back to priority Normal.)
- Priority changed from Low to Normal
- Target version changed from Tails_3.0 to Tails_3.2
I think we'll be plenty busy with other matters during this cycle.
- Subject changed from Generate Python 3 code for Dogtail to Run Dogtail using Python 3
- Description updated (diff)
Please see the updated description. With that as background, I guess we might want to consider building our own
python3-dogtail from version 0.9.9-1, until we can make Debian release it for stretch backports.
- Blocks Feature #8788: Automatically test the "Tails documentation" link on the Desktop added
Looking at your 3.2 plate, I suggest you postpone this to another major release.
- Target version changed from Tails_3.2 to Tails_3.3
- Blocked by Feature #14585: Investigate Dogtail's long-term viability added
Please check #14585 before investing lots more time into dogtail.
- Blocks deleted (Feature #13239: Core work 2017Q3: Test suite maintenance)
- Target version changed from Tails_3.3 to Tails_3.5
- Target version deleted (
Also available in: Atom