Feature #14877: Donation campaign 2018
Make it so most Bitcoin donations arrive directly on RiseupLabs' Coinbase account
This will simplify things both for our accounting team and for our fiscal sponsor (RiseupLabs). Ideally we would point most visitors to RiseupLabs' Coinbase address, and a small fraction of them to our own Bitcoin address, so that we keep some Bitcoin under our own control and can use them directly without converting to a fiat currency first.
- pros: do the work once and forget it; the ratio can easily be adjusted dynamically
- cons: some initial dev work (probably 20-40 SLOC, let's say 2 hours of work including debugging + review & merge)
- intrigeri could do it (or find someone else to do it) at some point in 2017, if we decide this is the best option
- Low-tech: point to our own Bitcoin address most of the year, and point to RiseupLabs' one during our yearly donation campaign.
- pros: very little work
- cons: we need to keep track of this forever, to avoid forgetting to switch to the other address when relevant
- intrigeri is not excited at the idea of tracking all this, but volunteers anyway to create 3 sub-tickets of the 2017 donation campaign: switching to RiseupLabs' address, switching back, and creating the same tickets for 2018
#1 Updated by intrigeri over 1 year ago
- Status changed from Confirmed to In Progress
- Assignee changed from intrigeri to sajolida
- % Done changed from 0 to 10
- QA Check set to Info Needed
Which one do you prefer? Is the effort to write, debug, review, merge, and maintain a tiny bit of trivial JS worth it in your opinion?
The plan is clear,
but I have to say I'm not sure about the usefulness of this.
Any of the two proposed options will avoid repeating (most of) the boring work that I did last year to sell the BTC we've received during the donation campaign. I don't wish anyone to do the same. Last year we had no choice so I did it, but this year we can anticipate and avoid putting ourselves in a painful situation, thanks to this ticket :)
Given the low-tech option described here is super cheap, its cost/benefit seems extremely favorable to me.
The cost/benefit of the high-tech option is less clear-cut. Its main benefit is: it allows us to keep quite some BTC without selling them, which we need for $reasons, and I don't know if we receive enough during the rest of the year (outside of the donation campaign) to cover our needs. I could do the maths if needed; it may very well be that this ("high-tech") option saves us quite some money down the road, and makes life simpler for a number of Tails people. I can elaborate (elsewhere) if needed :)
During the donation campaign we should ideally point everybody to Riseup's account in order to better track the money we received, no?
I think it doesn't matter much: the money received by both bitcoin addresses can be retrieved from blockchain explorers, so the difference between "everything in the same place" vs. "cleverly split into two places" is one addition.
Ouch: https://bitcoin.org/en/alert/2017-10-09-segwit2x-safety. Now I think this doesn't change anything here: even if BTC donations sent to RiseupLab's Coinbase account are converted to whatever altcoin, we don't care much as the goal is to have RiseupLabs sell them as soon as possible. But we should first check what RiseupLabs' plans are given these news.