explain somewhere that in some cases the signing key may have to be updated
Type of work:
In the documentation to download and verify the ISO with GnuPG (http://tails.boum.org/install/download/openpgp), it is said that
If you are doing the verification for the first time, download the Tails signing key and import it in your keyring. If you are working from Tails, the signing key is already included.
If a user have downloaded the signing key a long time ago, or uses an old Tails release, it may not be up to date, and therefore the verification ends up with a "this key is expired" error. A lot of users keep using this method to verify the ISO and send us bug reports or emails, worried about our signing key not being valid anymore.
I think I'll add an entry to the FAQ about this, but I doubt it will avoid all these users from sending bug reports... If the documentation suggested the users to update the signing key before verifying the ISO, it would solve the issue.
- Related to Feature #14977: Improve OpenPGP instructions based on Cody's and jaster's feedback added
- Related to Feature #14711: Tell people to update the signing key on verification failure added
- Related to deleted (Feature #14711: Tell people to update the signing key on verification failure)
- Duplicated by Feature #14711: Tell people to update the signing key on verification failure added
- Blocks Feature #14758: Core work 2017Q4 → 2018Q1: Technical writing added
- Blocks deleted (Feature #14758: Core work 2017Q4 → 2018Q1: Technical writing)
- Blocks Feature #15411: Core work 2018Q2 → 2018Q3: Technical writing added
I'm out of budget for this quarter.
- Duplicated by Bug #15448: Explanation how to verify image misses step to import key added
- Target version set to Tails_3.8
- Target version changed from Tails_3.8 to Tails_3.9
- Target version changed from Tails_3.9 to Tails_3.10
- Blocks deleted (Feature #15411: Core work 2018Q2 → 2018Q3: Technical writing)
- Blocks Feature #15941: Core work 2018Q4 → 2019Q2: Technical writing added
Also available in: Atom