Replace UUI with Win32 Disk Imager
dd for Windows with a simple GUI. In other words, it should keep working as long as our
dd instructions work.
#4 Updated by anonym about 1 year ago
- Status changed from New to Confirmed
Does UUI work for UEFI boot? If it does, then this proposal brings a serious regression.
For the record,
dd-type installation doesn't work with UEFI in our automated test suite. I verified with:
Scenario: bla Given a computer And the computer is set to boot in UEFI mode Given I temporarily create a 4 GiB disk named "isohybrid" And I write the Tails ISO image to disk "isohybrid" When I start Tails from USB drive "isohybrid" with network unplugged and I login
(last step fails at UEFI boot menu)
- Assignee changed from anonym to sajolida
I don't have access to a UEFI computer so I cannot test UUI on UEFI.
anonym: Can you do that?
Moved this to #14959: it's somewhat off-topic here, and it makes little sense to me to block on this test before sajolida can make progress here.
- Status changed from Confirmed to Rejected
- Assignee deleted (
I'm rejecting this ticket because:
- Win32 is extremelly slow and has other UX glitches.
- ISO images installed using dd (or similar tools) fail to boot on UEFI while UUI works on some (despite having an MBR partition table).
So switching from UUI to Win32 Disk Images would be at least a regression on quite a few UEFI laptops.