Project

General

Profile

Bug #14555

Feature #15023: Upgrade to Tor Browser based on Firefox ESR60

Migrate to Tor Launcher compatible with Firefox ESR60

Added by BitingBird 10 months ago. Updated about 2 months ago.

Status:
Confirmed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
Category:
-
Target version:
Start date:
08/30/2017
Due date:
% Done:

0%

QA Check:
Feature Branch:
Type of work:
Code
Blueprint:
Starter:
Affected tool:
Tor Launcher

Description

Upstream ticket: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25750

sajolida will do the documentation


Related issues

Related to Tails - Feature #8243: Support meek bridges Resolved 11/08/2014
Related to Tails - Feature #15144: Consider migrating from Tor Launcher to anon-connection-wizard Confirmed 01/03/2018
Blocks Tails - Feature #15334: Core work 2018Q3: Foundations Team Confirmed 02/20/2018

History

#1 Updated by intrigeri 10 months ago

  • Assignee set to anonym

(It's Foundations Team's job, and generally anonym takes care of this area.)

#2 Updated by anonym 10 months ago

  • Target version changed from 2019 to Tails_3.3

We'll have to migrate to the new Tor Launcher when XUL is deprecated in November.

#3 Updated by anonym 10 months ago

We might want to consider switching to anon-connection-wizard instead of the new Tor Launcher, since it might be what we can implement our long-term vision in.

#4 Updated by iry 10 months ago

We might want to consider switching to anon-connection-wizard instead of the new Tor Launcher, since it might be what we can implement our long-term vision in.

Seeing my work may potentially be useful to Tails community makes me really happy.

For people who would like to keep up with the anon-connection-wizard development, [this post](https://forums.whonix.org/t/graphical-gui-whonix-setup-wizard-anon-connection-wizard-technical-discussion/650/303) may be useful.

I have watched this ticket and please let me know if there is anything else I can help with!

Thank you very much!

#5 Updated by intrigeri 8 months ago

  • Target version changed from Tails_3.3 to Tails_3.5

I think we only have to do that in time for when we ship Tor Browser based on ESR 59 so there's time.

#6 Updated by intrigeri 7 months ago

#7 Updated by anonym 7 months ago

  • Target version changed from Tails_3.5 to Tails_3.6

So I have asked when the stable Tor Browser series will switch to the WebExtension-based Tor Launcher, and got the answer that it "definitely won't happen in the 7.x series (which means not before we switch to a new ESR)". [source]

intrigeri wrote:

I think we only have to do that in time for when we ship Tor Browser based on ESR 59 so there's time.

Ack, and ESR 59 is released in March at the same time as Tails 3.6, so we at least got until then (but I wouldn't be surprised if it's pushed closer to when ESR 52 is EOL:ed, or even when 59.2 is released in the beginning of July).

#8 Updated by intrigeri 6 months ago

I thought this ticket was not primarily about the move to WebExtensions, but rather about the new UI that fetches bridges for the user using meek, which is one of the top priorities of the Tor Browser team currently. I don't know what the release timeline for this change looks like; I doubt it makes it into the Tor Browser we'll ship in Tails 3.5 but I suggest you check with them.

#9 Updated by intrigeri 6 months ago

#10 Updated by anonym 6 months ago

  • Subject changed from Adapt to new Tor Launcher to Migrate to the Tor Launcher WebExtension

intrigeri wrote:

I thought this ticket was not primarily about the move to WebExtensions, but rather about the new UI that fetches bridges for the user using meek, which is one of the top priorities of the Tor Browser team currently.

I'll open a new ticket for that one: #15064

I don't know what the release timeline for this change looks like; I doubt it makes it into the Tor Browser we'll ship in Tails 3.5 but I suggest you check with them.

I'll do this on #15064.

#11 Updated by intrigeri 6 months ago

#12 Updated by intrigeri 6 months ago

#13 Updated by intrigeri 6 months ago

iry wrote:

Please let me know if there is a more on-topic tickets for the post.

I don't think there's any ticket about this topic, so please create a new one (I would suggest using "Consider migrating from Tor Launcher to anon-connection-wizard" as subject), move the contents of the two off-topic comments there, and either mark is as related to this one or make it a subtask (since it's a candidate alternate solution to the problem this ticket is about, but not quite the same thing).

This being said: thanks for working on this!

#14 Updated by iry 6 months ago

  • Related to Feature #15144: Consider migrating from Tor Launcher to anon-connection-wizard added

#15 Updated by iry 6 months ago

intrigeri wrote:

iry wrote:

Please let me know if there is a more on-topic tickets for the post.

I don't think there's any ticket about this topic, so please create a new one (I would suggest using "Consider migrating from Tor Launcher to anon-connection-wizard" as subject), move the contents of the two off-topic comments there, and either mark is as related to this one or make it a subtask (since it's a candidate alternate solution to the problem this ticket is about, but not quite the same thing).

This being said: thanks for working on this!

Thank you so much for your detailed guidance, intrigeri !

Done: #15144 #15145

#16 Updated by intrigeri 6 months ago

anonym, I recommend you monitor the Tor Browser Meeting Notes which seems to be a good way to learn about status/progress on this front: e.g. at the 2017-12-18 meeting, sysrqb wrote "Began looking at XUL->WebExtension migration for tor-launcher". So at least now we know who's working on it :)

#17 Updated by anonym 5 months ago

  • Target version changed from Tails_3.6 to Tails_3.7

If I attend Tor Dev (Rome, March 2018) I hope to get some clarifications. I'll definitely no look at this ticket before that.

#18 Updated by anonym 5 months ago

And we should look at this thread, and see how Tails' needs fit: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tbb-dev/2018-January/000735.html

#19 Updated by intrigeri 4 months ago

  • Target version changed from Tails_3.7 to Tails_3.9
  • Parent task set to #15023

Hi anonym,

while reading the proposed plan for meek (#8243#note-28) I've looked for a ticket about supporting moat and ended up here.

anonym wrote:

intrigeri wrote:

I thought this ticket was not primarily about the move to WebExtensions, but rather about the new UI that fetches bridges for the user using meek, which is one of the top priorities of the Tor Browser team currently.

I'll open a new ticket for that one: #15064

I don't know what the release timeline for this change looks like; I doubt it makes it into the Tor Browser we'll ship in Tails 3.5 but I suggest you check with them.

I'll do this on #15064.

Looks like the confusion is back. #15064 was repurposed to a subset of what it was meant to be and we're back to square one: we have no ticket that tracks moat support => created #15331.

This very ticket is solely about the migration away from XUL, which should happen with the move to Firefox ESR60, so I'm reparenting this ticket. Our plan is to work on this in July and August.

#20 Updated by intrigeri 4 months ago

#21 Updated by intrigeri 4 months ago

#22 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

  • Subject changed from Migrate to the Tor Launcher WebExtension to Migrate to Tor Launcher compatible with Firefox ESR60

The Tor Browser team has no clear plan wrt. how to do this yet. One option is to turn their extensions into "system add-ons" that would be allowed to keep using APIs that are not available anymore to regular add-ons.

#23 Updated by intrigeri about 2 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)

(Added link to upstream ticket.)

Also available in: Atom PDF