Feature #9005: Tails Installer without a splash screen
Update doc to new Tails Installer without splash screen (in Debian)
About the Ubuntu part of the documentation, it currently reads: Ubuntu Xenial or later. This is unfortunately not correct, because there is no recent version for Yakkety (this is because Ubuntu forbids uploading new package versions to what they consider to be an outdated release).So the installer currently works on
- 16.04 XenialXerus
- 17.04 ZestyZapus
- 17.10 ArtfulAardvark
I tested Tails Installer in Debian:
- In testing I got the version without splash screen (5)
- In stretch-backports I got the version with splash screen (4), as of #14650. So most people on Debian will get the splash screen.
Wily and Yakkety are the only version with the splash screen but they are also the only unsupported versions. So most people on Ubuntu will not get the splash screen.
As I will anyway have to document the new version without splash screen I think I will write the documentation without the splash screen and advertize it as for Ubuntu and Debian (testing) until #14650 is done.
- Status changed from Resolved to In Progress
- Assignee changed from sajolida to cbrownstein
- Priority changed from Normal to Elevated
- Target version changed from Tails_3.6 to Tails_3.8
I closed this ticket by mistake...
Now that #14650 is solved (May 8), the version of Tails Installer in Stretch backports shouldn't have the splash screen anymore. If it's the case, then we should finish updating our instructions to remove the splash screen. See https://tails.boum.org/install/debian/usb/.
If I remember correctly, this implies getting rid of
inc/steps/install_final_in_debian.inline.mdwn and using
inc/steps/install_final.inline.mdwn for Debian as well.
This is part of our installation instructions, so I'd say it deserves Priority: Elevated.
Cody: Tell me if you have a Debian stretch to do the tests.
- Assignee changed from cbrownstein to sajolida
- QA Check changed from Ready for QA to Dev Needed
The branch conflicts with current master so it cannot be merged (and causes trouble on Jenkins, not your fault, but to fix that trouble I needed to merge its base branch and could not).