Project

General

Profile

Bug #15636

Screen locker password setting dialog fails with non-ASCII characters

Added by mercedes508 about 1 month ago. Updated about 1 month ago.

Status:
Resolved
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
Category:
-
Target version:
Start date:
06/04/2018
Due date:
% Done:

100%

QA Check:
Pass
Feature Branch:
segfault:bugfix/15636-screen-locker-unicode
Type of work:
Research
Blueprint:
Starter:
Affected tool:

Description

When using € in the screen locker password, it doesn't work: doesn't display any error message, but doesn't lock neither.

It works fine with $ sign.

Associated revisions

Revision 3ea540da
Added by intrigeri about 1 month ago

Merge remote-tracking branch 'segfault/bugfix/15636-screen-locker-unicode' into stable (Fix-committed: #15636)

History

#1 Updated by segfault about 1 month ago

  • Assignee changed from segfault to intrigeri
  • QA Check set to Ready for QA
  • Feature Branch set to segfault:bugfix/15636-screen-locker-unicode

Ouch, I just took a look and turns out tails-screen-locker tries to convert the input to ASCII. I pushed a commit which uses UTF8 instead.

#2 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

Wow, it's amazing that this was not reported earlier.

#3 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

  • Status changed from Confirmed to In Progress
  • Assignee changed from intrigeri to segfault
  • Priority changed from Low to Normal
  • % Done changed from 0 to 10
  • QA Check changed from Ready for QA to Dev Needed

Your branch is based on devel + some local commits that should probably never get merged. Please rebase on stable :)

#4 Updated by u about 1 month ago

  • Subject changed from Screen locker don't cope with € character to Screen locker doesn't cope with € character

#5 Updated by segfault about 1 month ago

  • Assignee changed from segfault to intrigeri
  • QA Check changed from Dev Needed to Ready for QA

intrigeri wrote:

Your branch is based on devel + some local commits that should probably never get merged. Please rebase on stable :)

Done. Bugfixes should always be based on stable, right? Maybe someday I will be able to remember that.

#6 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

Bugfixes should always be based on stable, right?

Yes, that's a sensible default. Worst case the reviewer deems the risk/benefit not worth including in a bugfix release and merges into devel only but most of the time, we want bugfixes to go in the next release.

#7 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

  • % Done changed from 10 to 60

Code review passes.

FTR I was initially dubious because our Perl code gets the current character code set from the locale environment (with I18N::Langinfo) so I've checked and apparently we force UTF-8 locales (see the call to localectl set-locale in greeter.git:gdm/PostLogin.default) so indeed, we can safely hardcode utf8 here.

I'll now test this manually since apparently we have no automated tests for the screen locking feature.

#8 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

  • Subject changed from Screen locker doesn't cope with € character to Screen locker password setting dialog fails with non-ASCII characters

#9 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

  • Status changed from In Progress to Fix committed
  • Assignee deleted (intrigeri)
  • % Done changed from 60 to 100
  • QA Check changed from Ready for QA to Pass

Works perfectly, merged!

#10 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

  • Target version changed from Tails_3.8 to Tails_3.7.1

#11 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

  • Assignee set to BitingBird

#12 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

  • Assignee deleted (BitingBird)

#13 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

  • Status changed from Fix committed to Resolved

Also available in: Atom PDF