Bug #7755: Migrate WhisperBack to Python 3
Test updated WhisperBack
#5 Updated by alant over 3 years ago
- % Done changed from 0 to 20
Tested whisperback from commit f4ef4ac by installing the .deb in tails/jessie ISO from commit 3a15e4e.
It claims to work fine once correcting
/etc/whisperback/config.py but I never recieve the emails.
@@ -139,7 +139,7 @@ amnesia_version_process = subprocess.Popen ("tails-version", stdout=subprocess.PIPE) amnesia_version_process.wait() - amnesia_version = amnesia_version_process.stdout.read() + amnesia_version = amnesia_version_process.stdout.read().decode("utf-8") except OSError: amnesia_version = "tails-version command not found" except subprocess.CalledProcessError: @@ -164,7 +164,7 @@ process = subprocess.Popen (["sudo", "/usr/local/sbin/tails-debugging-i nfo"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE) for line in process.stdout: - debugging_info += line + debugging_info += line.decode("utf-8") process.wait() except OSError: debugging_info += "sudo command not found\n"
#7 Updated by alant over 3 years ago
Emails without "Debugging info" pass well, while emails including them are lost between the HS relay and tails-bugs.
- maybe the messages are formatted in a way that makes Schleuder crazy?
- have WB save an email it has generated on Wheezy and Jessie, and compare
- the admins of the schleuder list may have received Error messages -> ask them
#8 Updated by alant over 3 years ago
- % Done changed from 20 to 40
maybe the messages are formatted in a way that makes Schleuder crazy?
have WB save an email it has generated on Wheezy and Jessie, and compare
I did set up an hidden service SMTP server and configured a python3 whisperback running on Tails/Jessie as well as the released whisperback on Tails 1.2.2 to use it. The emails I recieved from the two whisperback were formatted the same way (inline OpenPGP, same header) and I achieved to decrypt both without errors. The content looks very similar, unless the size of the email which is a lot bigger for Jessie, due to a longer syslog.
Content-Length: 40934 Lines: 633
Content-Length: 140169 Lines: 2160
the admins of the schleuder list may have received Error messages -> ask them
They have recieved such error messages: 2015-01-02 00:00:02 firstname.lastname@example.org FATAL Caught RegexpError: Stack overflow in regexp matcher: /\A(?: [\x00-\x7f] | [\xc2-\xdf] [\x80-\xbf] | \xe0 [\xa0-\xbf] [\x80-\xbf] | [\xe1-\xef] [\x80-\xbf] [\x80-\xbf] | \xf0 [\x90-\xbf] [\x80-\xbf] [\x80-\xbf] | [\xf1-\xf3] [\x80-\xbf] [\x80-\xbf] [\x80-\xbf] | \xf4 [\x80-\x8f] [\x80-\xbf] [\x80-\xbf] )*\z/xn /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/kconv.rb:260:in `match' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/kconv.rb:260:in `isutf8' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/kconv.rb:366:in `isutf8' /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/tmail/quoting.rb:112:in `convert_to' /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/tmail/quoting.rb:35:in `unquoted_body' /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/tmail/quoting.rb:61:in `body' /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/schleuder/mail.rb:545:in `add_metadata!'
I thus suspect schleuder to become crazy when it gets long inline OpenPGP emails, which is not a regression in WhisperBack.
I wanted to try to sent Jessie logs from Tails 1.2.2 but the gpg process forked by whisperback hangs in
proc.handles['stdin'].write(data) with these long data and I'm not into debugging that now (this issue doesn't happen with the updated whisperback on Jessie).
Please confirm or infirm my analysis before I close this ticket and create a new one about schleuder being crazy.
#12 Updated by alant over 3 years ago
- Assignee changed from alant to intrigeri
I thus suspect schleuder to become crazy when it gets long inline OpenPGP emails, [...]
WhisperBack send inline OpenPGP, not PGP/MIME. I can try to implement PGP/MIME and hope Schleuder prefers, or we can filter logs to remove duplicated/not relevant lines to shorten them. Thought?
#13 Updated by intrigeri over 3 years ago
- inline OpenPGP is a deprecated thing that has never been properly standardized;
- it's a well-known fact that Schleuder is über-buggy with inline OpenPGP attachments (thanks to your experiments, we know that it apparently depends on their size -- I didn't know that, and am happy to understand this problem slightly better :)
- I've no idea what's the maximum inline attachment size that doesn't make Schleuder freak out;
- I've no idea how to trim the attached logs and make sure they'll be short enough not to trigger Schleuder bugs, without losing valuable info;
- I believe that Schleuder works mostly fine with well-formatted PGP/MIME;
=> I say let's not add kludges over kludges to make PGP/inline kind of work a bit longer => I think the way to go is PGP/MIME.